Kilted United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working on a new Hunter Sporran

4 posters

Go down

Working on a new Hunter Sporran Empty Working on a new Hunter Sporran

Post  druid Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Just a project I've been working on between ice storms and shifts in the Prison...

Templates I made:

Working on a new Hunter Sporran 1-Template3
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 1-Template2

What I have so far:

Working on a new Hunter Sporran 3-ArrowsandCantle1
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 3-ArrowsandCantle2
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 4-CarvingFacestillwet1
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 4-CarvingFacestillwet2
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 2-Boss1
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 2-Boss2
Working on a new Hunter Sporran 2-Boss3

All materials are from Tandy Leather except for the Tartan, which are remnants from when Barb T. made my Kilt. It sits under the Boss and is centered under the Triquetra.

The sporran face is still wet and is why it looks dark/streaked. When it's completely dry, it won't look like that. The face and back are 12-14oz cow hide, the gusset is 4oz goat. The colors are 'British Tan" and common black.

The face color of the Sporran is going to match the Triquetra [British Tan], the Cantle is going to be black and carved to match the design [imprint] face of the Sporran.

I still have some smoothing to do on the Triquetra edges [where it's cut out] and I didn't get a pic of the gusset...but the gusset is a wide one, at 3" wide and is black.
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Working on a new Hunter Sporran Empty Re: Working on a new Hunter Sporran

Post  druid Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:44 pm

Got 2 new pics. The pieces are just "set together" to show what it basically looks like. Still have lots to do before it's finished:

Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media13
Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media14
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Post  druid Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 am

and 3 more:

Working on a new Hunter Sporran MetalCantle2
Working on a new Hunter Sporran MetalCantle
Working on a new Hunter Sporran MetalCantle1
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Post  druid Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 am

Inside
Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media11-1

Gusset
Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media1-1

Front
Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media13-1

Back [Belt hanger]
Working on a new Hunter Sporran Media12-1

All that's left to do is put the snap on and seal it with the semi gloss coating.
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Post  scotwahae Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Man that is freakin awesome! I gotta say that this forum is already a wealth of knowledge for guys like me and I'm going to Tandy today to make my own sporran. I like the tartan backing that you use and how it acts as an underlay for the detailed leather work.Looking awesome. 1 question-where can I get the metal part at the top?

scotwahae

Back to top Go down

Post  druid Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 pm

scotwahae wrote:Man that is freakin awesome!

I gotta say that this forum is already a wealth of knowledge for guys like me and I'm going to Tandy today to make my own sporran.

I like the tartan backing that you use and how it acts as an underlay for the detailed leather work.Looking awesome.

1 question-where can I get the metal part at the top?

Thanks!

Tandy is where I get everything I use. Bring your Platinum Visa though ..... LOL!

The Tartan underlay is part of a remnant from when Barb T made my Family Kilt. Getting it to line up was a little sketchy but it worked out OK I think...lol.

The metal part on top is called a "Cantle" and I got 2 from Lythgoe...he may still have some to sell.

However you can also pick them up here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sporran+Cantle&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=W35TTY2aE4-p8AaW1P3OBw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQrQQwAA&biw=1024&bih=653
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Working on a new Hunter Sporran Empty NEW PICS!

Post  druid Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 am

I had the occasion to wear it today. Sadly, it was for a fellow Officer's funeral.

My Class A uniform for Honor Guard, en-route to play at graveside:

Working on a new Hunter Sporran ClassA

Working on a new Hunter Sporran ClassA2

Working on a new Hunter Sporran ClassA1
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 pm

MY GOD that looks just flat out incredible. In your No.1's it looks great! Condolences on the funeral....You boys in blue take care and be safe-You all should be making 100X what ever your salary is at the moment and thats the truth!

I think the only critique I could give you is line the inner panels with a soft material such as suede. SImply by a piece and lay each panel down and trace onto the material and cut out. Bind it on with gorilla glue or something, then add and sew the gusset. Other than that, I couldn't have done any better myself! Thats reall a fantastic sporran that you should be proud of and proud to wear. LEts see some more!!!

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  druid Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks.

I did think about lining the inside with pigskin splits but figured "eh"...it wasa lot of work to begin with...lol.

I am going to make one specifically for Law Enforcement though. It will be similar in design but in all-black and have either a real badge inset, or one carved into the leather. I'm also considering making it look like "The Thin Blue Line"....having it all black but divided by a blue line.
druid
druid

Back to top Go down

Post  kxvr19 Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 am

Yes. I have leftovers from when Barb T made my Kilt and used that. On the back side of the Tartan [what you don't see], I used a liquid "thread locker" to hold the threads and keep it from fraying. Once I have it to where I can finally glue down the Boss, I will also glue down the Tartan and it won't move at all, much less fray.

I'll try to get better pics up later on.

kxvr19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down