Kilted United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale

3 posters

Go down

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Empty Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi all-
I've finished designing our hunter's sporran for this year. I have cut templates and will be scanning them to correct size. There has been so much reception to this idea of arm-chair sporran making, that I'm going to sell the pattern with templates (All you need to do is place over leather, stack all the pieces, do a little cutting and sewing). THis is the popular sporran style that you see everywhere that was made famous by L&M Sporrans. I have substituted the leafing folds that this style has, and replaced them with tassels. LOOKS AWESOME!!! Price is 10.00$. Details soon-

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Empty Re: Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:06 pm

I took some quick webcam pics of one that I'm doing for a customer. I've cut two 9 OZ leather front and back for the exposed portion of the cantle, I've cut two 11 Oz for the center support, and cut two suede pieces for the inner lining. I placed and bonded each one on top the other, and then placed to dry (You need to have a flat surface with a large cutting board that you can place over then weight down.)

I then cut my signature battle axe sporran belt holder and stitched on. More pics to follow-
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo32
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo33
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo34

This is about 4 hours of work to do right and let dry.

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

There are 3 pieces of trim that need to be cut then glued together. Once you have the trim together, you then stitch onto the front panel. Here's the first piece-See how thin the piece of leather is. Its the consistnacy somewhere between cardboard paper and poster board. Not thick at all, but still rigid to hold its form.-

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo35
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo35
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo37

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am

So I cut the holes for the tassels, and made the tassels and secured. I have primed the decorative trim, glued the pieces, and will be stitching them onto the front panel. I'll be riveting and adding the closing strap. Then its time to stitch the gusset, and this baby is done! Total time so far-11 hours.

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo38
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo39

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  billmcc Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:24 pm

I look forward to seeing the finished sporran.

Josh, will you being adding this model to the sporran page on your website?

billmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I trimmed and styled my upper portion template. I bought a 4$ bag of rivets from Tandy and a 3$ keltic heart adornment. I'm added them to the upper portion template and then put adhesive and placed on the front panel (It looks a little bubbly-I haven't sewn it tight to the front panel). Once dried, I've punched my sewing holes. All thats left it to apply a nice cover trim and sew on the gusset. NExt pic-Finished product.
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo45

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Gusset attached to the front. Almost done

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Untitled-1

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Well....I was thwarted at the last moment. The front panel is too thick for the last 3 rivets that hold the closure strap. Its also too thick for the screw that holds the sam brown fastener to the leather. Minor details that will be solved quickly once I pop up to Tandy and get the right rivet lengths and an xtra long screw. Anyway, sorry for the horrible web cam pics. The sporran is a beauty, and there is NOTHING more satisfying than making one yourself. Hand stitching is so much better than machine stitching, and the quality leather, your workmanship, and the thought that you've actually constructed something that has real meaning to you will satisfy you to no end. I highly recomend you give it a shot. You need not be an artist or professional leather worker to make something like this! This took me 15 hours to complete. Enjoy-

Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo88
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo89
Hunter's Sporran pattern-For Sale Photo90

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  kxvr19 Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 am

When I first ordered, I told Josh that I would like to have some extra material for some DIY self projects, one of them being tartan flashes. To my surprise, he told me he would be happy to send anything that was left over. Since many kilt makers charge for tartan flashes, I was surprised he was willing to give me the extra tartan. So, a few weeks ago when I received my beautiful kilt, along with it was a nice strip of tartan PV fabric. It was not very big; however, it was big enough for what I needed.

I followed Barb T's tutorial on how to make tartan flashes, but used a few different materials. Without going into too much detail, these are the materials with the costs:

Tartan fabric: FREE! Came with the kilt.
1/2 yard fusible interfacing: $1.99

I cut the fusible interfacing to the size I wanted. It ironed on very easily to the fabric. I cut the shape out that I wanted, sewed them with a loop on the end and I was done. Took about 30-45 minutes.

I figured Josh saved me about 30 dollars by allowing me to make my own. I believe that is the price most kilt makers charge for tartan flashes. 189.00 dollar 8 yard kilt with free flashes!

kxvr19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down