Kilted United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step : This one's for Drac

2 posters

Go down

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac Empty Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step : This one's for Drac

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi All-
I'm going to begin posting each of my customer's sporran construction here in the DIY section. I hope it will be of use for aspiring sporran makers, and a nice reference for each customer so they can see the beginning, middle and end of their sporran.

The next sporran I'm doing will be Skye Highland Outfitters Roamer#1 style, brown leather with multi mix hair. No tassels. Pics soon-

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac Empty I can't wait.

Post  okiwen Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Love seeing what you make.

okiwen

Back to top Go down

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac Empty Re: Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step : This one's for Drac

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:07 pm

So here we go.....
DRAC just recently had a brown sporran made for him by a REALLY great up and coming sporran maker, so I decided to change his new one I'm making for him around a little. this is still a "ROAMER#!" style, but instead of horse hair, I'm using this really great goat hair. This will be tassel-less and I think it will be extremely versatile as a day AND formal style sporran. Here's initial pics of me getting started-

Cut the back panel and sporran loop-
Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac DSCN2288

Back panel reinforcement-I'll be lining this sporran with my signature suede lining-
Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac DSCN2291

Drac is in the NAVY, so I stamped my stamp along with a USN seal-
Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac DSCN2289

The goat hair I'll be using-
Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac DSCN2290

More pics coming soon.

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac Empty Oh!! Here we go!

Post  okiwen Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

long time coming and now we get to watch.

okiwen

Back to top Go down

Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step :  This one's for Drac Empty Re: Horse Hair Sporran Construction step-by-step : This one's for Drac

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Well.....Its been changed up once again. I decided the goat hair just wasn't working as far as desired length, so I ditched the front panel and cut another one and am now doing horse hair again. VERY cool pattern-PICS coming soon.

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeHighlandOutfitters Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 pm

My God......So here's what happens to me when I become indecisive. I didn't like the Goat hair and the black-It just didn't hang long enough. So I took some white horse hair, and some brown/gray mix and made a really nice striped pattern instead. Back to horse hair...BUT! The white/brown/gray just didn't match the black sporran panel and flap........So I recut a panel, dyed it brown and trimmed it with brown. NOW it looks right with the horse hair.

The problem was is that I stamped the back sporran strap loop of the black panel flap with the USN seal.........I did the same with the brown, so I am stuck with the black panel unfinished. BUT WAIT-Drac gave me a TON of leather, and one of the items in the box was a really neat stingray skin. DYED BLACK!!! So looks like Drac is gonna get 2 sporrans here, which is actually what I owed him. So everything is working out good for him sporran wise. This guy is gonna have the best sporran collection if I don't say so myself. He's had Artificer make him a REALLY cool hunting style sporran out of snake skin, I've made him a Hunter's sporran already this year AND these 2 are gonn go into his collection-ALL CUSTOM!!! Lucky guy!!! You'd think that since I make sporrans, I'd have one hell of a collection-NOPE-I have 1 sporran. A hunting sporran that was my 100th sporran. Thats it! Gotta work on that when I get a chance......Yeah right.

SkyeHighlandOutfitters

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down